Sunday, February 13, 2011

Doing what is right

On Thursday I went to a get together that was a really good show and there was some really good time of prayer. While we were praying for others, I found that God started talking to me about myself. Talking to me about who I am, where I came from, and where I am going. I know! Random, considering that I was trying to pray for others. One of the topics that God talked with me about spurned the idea of this post.

The part of the God conversation that I think about is how many people in our churches right now would still be in the church if it did not benefit them at all? If all they were given was their salvation (which they have to trust will be given to them), is that enough to satisfy them?

If they did not receive affirmation for a showy activity, would they still do it?
-Jesus told some people not to tell others who healed them.

If they were given ministry positions based on production rather than popularity, would they try to get those positions?
-Jesus knew the law and for it he was hunted down.

What if their hands had to get dirty putting someone back together, would they be willing to help?
-Jesus stopped to heal people, often times touching people with deadly illness.

If the pastor snubbed them, could they understand that there are more dire needs in the congregation or would they get hurt?
-Jesus felt his father forsake him on the cross, but he understood his fathers reasons.

Would they keep their faith if they had their life threatened for being Christian?
-Even though Christianity is growing at an exponential rate in oppressive countries, many have been martyred.

If being Christian was unpopular, would they do it with sincerity and humility?
-In Egypt, the Coptic Christians (5%-10% of the population) can only work menial jobs,have to pay heavy taxes, and are under protected by the government. Could we live under those circumstances?

Could they befriend someone who needs a friend, even though it might "ruin their image"?
-Jesus ate with tax collectors and other outcasts of the day, but he did not care.


I guess what I am doing is trying to figure out if we as Christians can do what is right in the face of what is popular or comfortable.

The great thing is that most of the people who read this I know are the types that are willing to go the extra mile and do what is right. You guys are awesome, and I care a lot about you so please do not think that I am condemning anyone! I am just writing this to put in contrast the main mentalities.

As our churches and our peers are becoming more self serving, I think it is important that we become other-focused. There may be a day in our life time that we will get persecuted. Thats why I am saying that it is important to begin a life of love now, because for that, there is no law. Love is doing what is best for someone, can we commit to doing that today so that it will be habit tomorrow?