Sunday, June 30, 2013

Change on the Horizon and challenging the unknown


As I was sitting in church today, I found that I sort of tuned out for a moment and God started talking to me.  It is not to say that the Pastor is boring, because he definitely is not!  I really like this church and I feel as if I am learning a lot.  He also challenges me personally, considering that we have met twice already and he recently sent me an email to see how I was doing.  This is all really new to me and it is really refreshing and exciting.

That being said, I felt like God was talking to me about the benefits of being persistent in the face of unknowns in my life.  Attending this church is something that has been in the works since February, but something always stopped me.  During this process, I started to realize a few things in life:

You stay in touch with people you care about.  One excuse for staying where I was is that I wouldn't be seeing a lot of people who have supported me through my hard times, but that does not mean that I can not call them, email them, or message them on Facebook.  We can still get a hold of each other, and I definitely plan to!  I could also stop by every now and then, so I am not falling of the earth either.  Sure, I don't know anyone in the new place, but I will get to know them and I am sure that many great relationships can be formed as well.

One in the hand is better than two in the bush.  Whether it is a job or ministry, I have found that most people only have their own interest in mind.  So if an opportunity comes knocking and the opportunity looks like it is a legitimate blessing, you jump on the opportunity because it may not come around again for a while.  It is worth trying.

If you say that you will never do something again, you are hurting yourself and hurting others.  After being in enough unhealthy ministries and relationships, there were points in my life where I said that I was done with them.  But if I would have held to my “never ever” stance, then I would have never ever had an opportunity with this church and I would have never ever met an amazing and Godly woman.  I am seeking God on everything and taking life day by day, but if I simply said, “Never ever” due to my past then I could miss out on something that could make for an awesome future for myself and others.   

If you never try something different, you could be missing out on something that could be really great.  When I fixate on one idea, I am blocking out other options.  Just because it is comfortable does not mean that it is the best option, or healthiest in that matter.  This is why I have to be open-minded about opportunities around me.  It's like going to McDonald's every day when you could have a healthy home cooked meal.  Sure, you never know what you are getting with the home cooked meal, but I bet it is better for you and it could be better than McDonald's!

So the lesson that I learned today was that change is coming, and I think it will be for the better.  This is why we have to preserver through the unknown.  Once we get on the other side, we will not only have a sense of accomplishment but we will have appreciation for what God has given us.  Whether it is a job, a degree, a ministry, a relationship, a friendship, today could be the day that you take that challenge head on.  But whatever you do, do not let the unknown hold you back from something that could be a gift from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment