Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What do I ask for?

When I think about my life, I am generally okay with it. Yes, I am still looking for a job using my degree. Yes, I am still dealing with sins of other people against me. Yes, I am still dealing with medical problems. Yes, I am still dealing with disillusionment. But you know what? It’s okay. Why? Because God is still getting me through. Is that cliché? Maybe. But at the end of the day, am I overly disappointed with my life? No.

When we look at what Jesus has to say about prayer, this is what he says in Matthew 6:9-13.

This, then, is how you should pray:
Our father in heaven,
Hallowed be your name,
Your kingdom come,
Your will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
As we also have forgiven our debtors
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.

So what does this say to me? A few things.

1. God, you are holy. In laymen’s terms, God, you are loving and just. You are sovereign. Here is one thing that we tend to forget: We work for God, he does not work for us! Yes, he wants to bless us, but ultimately, he is in control.
2. Help my will become your will. Yes, we can have our own desires, but at the end of the day are we seeking God and what is best for us and what is best for others?
3. Please provide for me today. Luke 12 talks about not worrying about what tomorrow may bring, but instead being confident that the Lord will provide for that day. This means that we still have to go out and act, but waiting for manna to fall from the sky is unrealistic.
4. Help me forgive others, and please forgive me. 1 Cor 13 talks about love, and what is important about love is not keeping a record of right and wrong. Yes, we should be careful and prudent with our hearts, but we should be willing to let go of the pain others cause us.
5. Help me desire what is good and stray from what is bad. I find that when I seek my own path, bad things happen. But when I try to move with the rhythm of God's beat, things go better, not smoothly or happily, but they go better.

When I read these, I begin to realize that I can be very demanding of God sometime. I can expect him to heal me of this, or give me that, but at the end of the day he does not feel obligated to give me everything I want. I can ask, but I must have the heart of “If he gives me that, then great, it is a blessing. But if not, I will be patient and understanding with his will. Help me understand your will”

This has also helped remind me to keep my prayers simple. In Matthew 6:5-8, Jesus tells his disciples (broad sense of “disciples”, not his 12) to avoid wordy and showy prayers, but instead to be humble and contrite. In all honesty, I have been guilty in the past of giving showy prayers knowing that it was the “currency” of the group that I was with. I realized quickly that I should not seek their fleeting approval, instead focus on giving prayers that are meaningful and help meet a person’s need rather than just making them feel entertained by the prayer.

One of the things that I have come to realize is that often times people do superficial things to fit in. But if you honestly love someone and care about them, it shows through and they will realize that and like you for that. I challenge you this week to think about the Lord's prayer, take it in word for word rather than read it like a rehearsed prayer. HAVE AN AWESOME WEEK!

No comments:

Post a Comment